Adventuring out to different styles

I realised, that I miss a lot of key skills in order to be a real professional. In order to fix this I make a lot of studies, practising and research. Part of that research is to venture into other styles and workflows. There are two results of the last few days that I like the most

Starting with this one:



Oftentimes I tent to not use vivid colours and contrasts. I shy away from those since I don't really know how to apply them. To fix this, I do a lot of colour studies. I take reference photos with a great colorscheme and use that palette to work with forceing my self to interpret the colours in a more impressionistic way. Inspiration for this style were a bunch of artworks from pixar. Their color keys and moodboards often feel like they have been painted with a grayon or coloured pencils. I tried to match that style with fitting brushes. Its not perfect, but on a good way.

Second one is this fellow here:



Like in the first one I used a photoreference for the colours. This time, aside from the colourpalette, reference and illustration have nothing in comon. It was a very fun challenge to work with such vibrant blues and oranges, finding mathing colours for the fur and metal. There are anatomical issues with the head and pose.. I  guess with the coming spring I have to go to the zoo again :). Nonetheless I'm happy with the result. The topic has also been something new. I nevere really drew humanoid animals before, but I'll need to do that for a project I am part of as lead artist. I consider this as practise especially for this project :)

Now, back to practising. There's a lot left to learn!